We are celebrating Christmas and Frank and Norma's new home in Annapolis. It is decorated with all of our favorite family treasures they have gathered over the years, including some Christmas tree ornaments I recognize from Germany. Memaw made her famous chocolate peanut butter balls. They are always to die for! But a million calories each.....
We all have very special memories of Christmases past. I would love the hear about some of them from everyone. One of my most memorable scenes from younger days ( I was about seven years old, Mike was five and Jeff was three) was when Uncle Ervin played Santa Claus.
You have to have known Uncle Ervin because he was the perfect person for that special role that year. He always seemed a little gruff. He had a big heart (which we weren't always aware of when younger) but always had a way of scaring us kids with his voice and mannerisms. We never quite knew what to expect from him. "Santa" came to visit Mike, Jeff and I at Aunti Lu's house that year. She and Uncle Bill lived in a small home behind Grandma and Grandpa Holtzapples' first house on West Market Street in York, PA. Santa arrived to the sound of reindeer bells, but instead of toys, brought us sticks, stones and coal, claiming we were "bad little boys and girls". We were devastated needless to say.After a tearful spell, he said "let me see ....there might be soemthing else outside that I forgot to bring in....and out he went to get a large white sack full of toys! We were overjoyed. Of all of the Christmases spent while a child, that one was one of the most prominent memories. I guess the "take away" factor was huge!
Friday, December 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment